How do you feel about white chocolate? A lot of people I know are not huge fans. I happen to LOVE it! I will definitely be trying this recipe for white hot chocolate. What a great twist on the traditional.
White Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups half-and-half or light cream*
- 3/4 cup vanilla-flavor baking pieces or vanilla-flavor candy coating, chopped
- 3 inches stick cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Slivers of vanilla-flavor candy coating (optional)
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
1. Combine 1/4 cup of the half-and-half or light cream, vanilla baking pieces or chopped candy coating, stick cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium saucepan; whisk over low heat until vanilla baking pieces or candy is melted. Remove stick cinnamon.
2. Add remaining half-and-half or light cream. Whisk until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and almond extract. Serve warm in cups or mugs; top with slivers of vanilla-flavor candy coating and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired. Makes 5 (6-ounce) servings.
*Note: To reduce fat, you may substitute low-fat milk or evaporated fat-free milk for the half-and-half.
Tip: To create the foamy layer on top, blend some of the hot chocolate mixture in a blender container until frothy, and add to each serving.
(photo and recipe from bhg.com)