I recently made this delicious soup from Food Network that I just had to share with you. It's sure to spice up these cold nights. And of course it's super easy! Definitely a new staple around our house.
I call it Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced Mexican style tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 (12-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- Sour cream, for topping
- Monterey Jack, shredded, for topping
- 2 limes, wedged
In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Saute the onions. Add bell pepper, jalapenos, salt and pepper. Cook until the onions become translucent. Add the cumin and stir until fragrant. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, and 1/4 cup of the cilantro. Add the diced chicken and cook through for about 10 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
Ladle soup into bowls and divide the crushed tortilla chips between the bowls. Top with sour cream, Monterey jack cheese, cilantro, sliced avocado, and lime wedges.